U.S. Visas in Ghana
U.S. Visas in Ghana
U.S. K-3 Visa in Ghana
U.S. K-3 Visa in Ghana

The K-3 non-immigrant visa is issued to a foreign national spouse of a U.S. citizen. This category is intended to shorten the physical separation between the foreign national and the U.S. citizen spouse by having the option to obtain a non-immigrant K-3 Visa overseas and to enter the U.S. to await the approval of their immigrant visa petition.

The K-3 visa entitles the holder to enter and reside in the U.S. as a non-immigrant until the immigrant visa petition filed by the petitioner is approved and the holder is able to obtain immigrant visa status.

Unmarried children under 21 years of age of a K-3 applicant derive K-4 non-immigrant visa status from the K-3 parent and are entitled to apply with the applicant if the children’s names have been included in the K-3 visa petition.

The Application Process
  • The first step is for the U.S. Citizen spouse to submit a visa petition (Form I-130) to the USCIS “lockbox” office in the U.S. That office will then forward the petition to a USCIS service centre. If the applicant has children they are immigrating with, the U.S. citizen spouse should also submit separate visa petitions on their behalf as well.
  • After the U.S Citizen spouse receives an I–797 receipt notice for the I–130, they have to submit a Separate Fiancé Visa Petition (Form I – 129F) to whichever USCIS service center has the file.
  • After the USCIS approves form I–129F, it sends word to the National Visa Center (NVC) which conducts some preprocessing procedures and then transfers the case to the U.S. consulate in the applicant’s home country.
  • After receiving the files, the consulate will send the applicant instructions about the forms to fill out and documents to prepare and ultimately schedules the applicant for an interview. These will include instructions for getting the medical exam.
Documents required in support of the application
  • a complete Form DS-160. The applicant and their children must each complete form DS-160 to apply for a K-3/K-4 visa;
  • USCIS Form I-134 (Affidavit of Support) if required by the consulate, signed by the U.S. spouse petitioner stating that they will reimburse the government if the applicant receives public assistance or welfare;
  • State Department Form DS-1858, Sponsors Financial Responsibility under the Social Security Act;
  • a valid travel passport from the applicant’s home country, good for at least 6 months;
  • original USCIS Notice of Action approving the Finance Visa Petition;
  • originals of documents submitted in connection with the visa petition, such as the U.S. spouse’s birth certificate and proof that any previous marriage is legally terminated;
  • documents to accompany form I-134 such as proof of U.S. Citizen’s employment, copy of U.S. Citizens most recent federal tax returns, and a letter from U.S. Citizen’s bank(s) confirming their account(s);
  • the applicant’s original birth certificate;
  • an original police clearance certificate. The applicant personally must collect police clearance certificates from each country they have lived in for one year or more since their 16th birthday. Additionally they must have a polite certificate from their home country or country of last residence, if they have lived there for at least 6 months since the age of 16yrs;
  • two additional photographs of the applicant, according to the consulate’s photo instructions;
  • result of the applicant’s medical examination in an unopened envelope;
  • additional documents proving the relationship to cover the time since the fiancé visa petition was submitted. This may include phone bills showing calls to one another, copies of emails and other correspondence and photos taken during recent joint vacations;
  • fee receipt showing that the relevant visa application fee has been paid;
  • finger print scans by the consulate as port of the interview processes;and
  • proof of bona fide marriage. Such proof might include copies of the couple’s personal letters, emails, phone bills, wedding phones, joint credit card bills, joint bank statements, etc.
What happens after a K-3 visa is issued?

Once a K-3 visa is issued, the consular officer will give the applicant their passport with the K-3 visa and a sealed packet containing the civil documents they provided plus other documents prepared by the U.S. embassy or consulate. The visa will be good for multiple entries to the U.S. for up to 10 years, or in the case of children for up to the child’s 21st birthday. Normally the applicant must use the visa within 6 months, although the consulate can extend this period if necessary

The inspection process during entry typically involves a U.S. border officer opening the sealed envelope containing the visa documents and making sure the applicant has not used fraud. The border officer has expedited removal power which means that the officer can turn the applicant right around and send them home if anything appears wrong in the applicant’s packet or with answer to the officer’s questions. When the officer is satisfied that everything is in order, they will stamp the applicant’s passport to show that they are now a K-3 visa holder.

If the applicant has accompanying children they must enter the U.S. at the same time as the applicant or after the applicant’s entry. The applicant can apply for a work permit once they are in the U.S.

More info about U.S. Visas: